|Launch Date||July 22, 2019|
|Mission Agency||Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)|
|Primary Objective||Soft landing on the moon’s south pole and lunar research|
|Communication Loss Date (Initial)||September 6, 2019|
|Communication Loss Confirmation Date||September 15, 2019|
|Cause of Communication Loss||Software glitch during descent|
|Notable Discovery||Detection of water ice on the moon’s surface|
|Follow-up Mission||Chandrayan 3|
CHANDRAYAN 2 LOST
Table of Contents
- The Genesis of Chandrayan 2
- Liftoff: A Remarkable Beginning
- The Complex Dance: Chandrayan 2’s Orbital Insertion
- Landing on the Moon: Vikram’s Descent
- Vikram’s Unexpected Silence: The Loss of Chandrayan 2
- What Went Wrong? Analyzing the Failure
- The Spirit of ISRO: Lessons Learned
- Chandrayan 2’s Scientific Objectives
- Discoveries on the Moon
- Chandrayan 2 and India’s Space Ambitions
- The Future of Lunar Exploration
- Conclusion: A Journey Worth Celebrating
1. The Genesis of Chandrayan 2
India’s love affair with space exploration dates back to the early 1960s when the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) was established. Fast forward to 2008, and India made a significant mark in the world of space by launching Chandrayan 1, its first lunar mission. This mission, which discovered water molecules on the moon’s surface, paved the way for Chandrayan 2.
2. Liftoff: A Remarkable Beginning
Chandrayan 2 journey began on July 22, 2019, when it was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre. It was a proud moment for India as this mission aimed to achieve what no other nation had done before – a soft landing on the moon’s south pole.
3. The Complex Dance: Chandrayan 2’s Orbital Insertion
Once in space, Chandrayan 2 underwent a series of complex maneuvers to reach its lunar orbit. This included multiple Earth orbits and lunar orbits before it was ready for its descent.
4. Landing on the Moon: Vikram’s Descent
The most nail-biting part of Chandrayan 2’s mission was the descent of the Vikram lander. As it approached the moon’s surface, millions held their breath, hoping for a successful touchdown.
5. Vikram’s Unexpected Silence: The Loss of Chandrayan 2
Tragically, moments before touchdown, communication with the Vikram lander was lost. Chandrayan 2’s mission was dealt a heartbreaking blow as it was unable to complete its planned experiments and research on the moon’s surface.
6. What Went Wrong? Analyzing the Failure
The loss of Vikram was a setback, but it also provided valuable lessons. Analysis revealed that a software glitch during the lander’s descent caused the communication failure. ISRO’s transparency about the failure was commendable.
7. The Spirit of ISRO: Lessons Learned
ISRO displayed incredible resilience in the face of adversity. They remained undeterred by the setback and continued their pursuit of knowledge, emphasizing the importance of learning from failures.
8. Chandrayan 2’s Scientific Objectives
Chandrayan 2 was not just about landing on the moon; it had a comprehensive scientific agenda. It aimed to study the moon’s surface, its mineral composition, and its exosphere.
9. Discoveries on the Moon
Before Vikram’s unfortunate end, it had already sent back some valuable data. Chandrayan 2 detected water ice on the moon, hinting at the possibility of future lunar habitation.
10. Chandrayan 2 and India’s Space Ambitions
Chandrayan 2 symbolized India’s ambition in the field of space exploration. It showcased the nation’s capability to undertake complex missions and its commitment to scientific advancement.
11. The Future of Lunar Exploration
The loss of Chandrayan 2 hasn’t dampened India’s lunar aspirations. ISRO has plans for Chandrayan 3, which aims to rectify the mistakes of its predecessor and complete the unfinished mission.
12. Conclusion: A Journey Worth Celebrating
In the grand scheme of space exploration, Chandrayan 2’s journey was a remarkable one. It ignited the spirit of discovery, taught us important lessons, and paved the way for future lunar missions.